I’m so grateful for this past weekend, where I was invited as a special guest to Colonial Williamsburg Resorts for a hosted stay and spa experience. You can check out their special summer packages HERE.
The guest list included myself and four more fantastic Instagram influencers, who are also a podcaster, chef, lawyer and jewelry maker.
One of the things I found that we all have in common is our appreciation for achieving the perfect Insta pose.
Before and After edits
If there’s one gift that sisters Kim K and Kylie J have given us, then it’s definitely their Instagram masterclass on how to pose for an Insta-worthy image.
This is the free gift that evolved into their billion-dollar cosmetic lines! Point proved that it pays to give than to receive.
Sisters are doing it for themselves and I ain’t mad at ’em!
From an over-lined pouty lip to the perfect lighting. Every Kardashian-Jenner tip still stands true.
As an Instagram influencer and business coach, I’m always looking for ways to level-up my entrepreneurs’ marketing strategies, especially by infusing technology into their businesses.
Picture perfect Instagram poses are also a large segment of my market.
In this post, I’m sharing my five tips on how to level-up your poses, even if you’re in poor lighting.
Yes, girl, I got you with the best apps to fix all that!
Click on any picture below to shop the look!
One of my 5 favorite tips from this post is featured on Cosmopolitan in this article HERE.
Picture perfect poses- there’s an app for that!
1. Snapchat App: Selfies are obviously taken by oneself. In this case, there’s no need to waste time with the camera on your phone. For the ultimate selfie, Snapchat is my go-to.
The app’s camera is customized for vertical shots, so you get a face view that’s not too close for comfort, yet cover girl closeup enough.
2. Community Lenses: While you’re in Snapchat, don’t forget your favorite face filter. For videos, mine is the simple glam face. Or, try mixing it up with one of the app’s Community Lenses where you can create your own customized filter or use one that someone in the community has already created and shared.
While I haven’t taken the time to create my own filter just yet, right now I’m into 80s Retro and Golden Hour Community Lenses.
3. Golden Hour App: If you’re like most influencers and your “Instagram husband” is in charge of the camera, you can always count on him to help achieve the perfect pose— to get in on the joke, check out the infamous and hilarious Instagram Husband video HERE!
However, every influencer knows that the best poses are in natural lighting just as the sun is rising- if you’re an early bird. Or in what’s known as “golden hour” just before the sun sets.
You’ll need Golden Hour app that lets you know the two best times of day to capture the most gorgeous pictures in your current location based on the sun’s position.
Once the app alerts you to when it’s time to pose, place your arms above your head and slightly tilt your chin to capture the sun’s golden rays and natural glow. There’s nothing more perfect than sun-kissed!
4. Adobe Lightroom CC App: Now that you’ve captured the perfect pose (which does exist if you’re following these tips) then this is the part where I infuse a little more technology into my picture.
I open up my photo in the Adobe Lightroom CC app to manually achieve the perfect brightness and color saturation- even in poor lighting. Lighting matters the most- even if you have the perfect pose.
Don’t let the number of options in Lightroom overwhelm you. Concentrate on the light and color features. I love bright, vivid photos, so here’s my general formula. Light: exposure 1-1.15, contrast 17, highlights -95, shadows 50-100, whites -17 and blacks 50-100. Color: temp 4-8, tint 24, vibrance 12-43.
As I mentioned, I like my photos for the ‘Gram rainbow bright, and I use saturation 4-24!
If you’re not into this type of manual labor in an app, subscribe to get my very own Lightroom filter, “Color Is My Favorite” sent to you as part of my secrets to success in The Ultimate Business Checklist.
5. ColorStory App: Ask any Instagram influencer, and they’ll tell you that the trend right now for an Insta-worthy, perfect pose is to add the cherry on top- a photo effect in the ColorStory app.
My favorite effect is the Hologram pack, where I can add a subtle rainbow or light prism to level-up my pose.
The Kardashians weren’t playing when they said that lighting is everything- and yes, they meant rainbows, too!
With all these tips for achieving the perfect Instagram pose, you’ll be giving us influencers a run for our Insta money in no time!
Watch out Kim K and Kylie J. 😉
Is this the kind of media feature you’ve dreamed of?
In Cosmo or Forbes— on podcasts and on stages?
Then I’m happy to introduce you to my mentor and secret weapon in biz!
1. How I Gained Over 25 Features In The Media— Including Forbes, In Less Than 6 Months?
2. How I Signed With A Talent Manager After Introducing Myself With Only One Email?
3. How I Got A Major Cruiseline To Sponsor Me For A 7-Day, All Expense Paid Caribbean Cruise?
Oh, and the fun part about the conversation? YOU Can Do This, Too!