We’re celebrating all things Kamala Harris, AKA Madam VP! Why? Because “You can’t be what you can’t see.” -Marian Wright Edelman
In reality, you can- but it sure is better to have a mirror image in front of you to see “that little girl was me.”
And we see you, Kween Kamala!
She has arrived- as the Vice President of the United States of America!
Women worldwide are exhaling in exclamation, “It’s about damn time!”
A Black and South Asian woman with Jamaican roots. “She will rise,” said the magnificent Maya Angelou.
Let unity begin.
Anthropologie similar jacket | Amazon Kamala Harris little girl T-shirt (I cut off the neck-line) | Good American black jeans | Dr. Martens patent boots | Amazon earrings | Free People similar ring | Julie Vos bracelet | OPI eggplant color nail polish | Givenchy lipstick |
Kamala Harris Inauguration celebration
I was honored to participate as a digital ambassador for the Biden-Harris campaign, and then again for the Biden-Harris Inauguration Committee.
And now I’m ready to serve up some Black girl magic by way of Madam VP’s favorite recipe, California lemon herb chicken. Yum!
Here’s what our Vice President said about why she chooses this as her go-to specialty.
She had me at meal prep.
According to Yahoo, this is how Madam VP prepares this sunshine state-inspired dish for her family.
“She prepares it a day ahead by rubbing a mixture of lemon, herbs, and seasonings under the skin, then lathers the skin with butter and lets it rest in the fridge for a day before slow-roasting it for dinner.
But her chefy savviness really shines through when she explains she’ll use the bird for leftovers until every piece has been put to good use—she’ll make chicken salad with leftover meat, while the carcass is slow-cooked with root vegetables for a delicious broth. The art of cooking once and eating twice (or three times) is surely something she learned from her mother, who would meal prep on the weekend before meal prep was a thing.”
Waste not, want not. My kind of leader, both real-life and Pinterest inspirational, with a meal planning recipe to boot!
Kamala inspired California lemon herb chicken recipe
Got a divided country to unite? Then you need Madam VP’s recipe to get dinner on the table in a flash!
Did you know? You can roast a whole chicken in your Instant Pot in about 25 minutes.
Instant Pot is my favorite way to make chicken that’s juicy and tender. Plus, I love being able to drop everything in a pot, set the time, and then walk away with the peace of mind of never over or undercooking my meal!
This Instant Pot recipe involves filling the chicken cavity with lemon slices and herbs for added flavor.
The skin won’t be browned and crusty as if roasted in the oven. But you’re not eating the skin anyway, right!
- 4-pound whole chicken
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of melted butter
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth
- 1/2 a lemon cut into slices
- 1/2 a yellow onion quartered
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon of fresh or ground parsley
- 8-10 fresh herb sprigs: thyme, rosemary, parsley and sage
1. Place the halved lemon, cut into slices and the 1/2 onion quartered, 2 garlic cloves, and fresh herbs into the chicken’s cavity.
2. Rub the whole chicken with a mixture of 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of melted butter.
3. Then season the entire chicken with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper by rubbing the salt and pepper all over, covering the chicken.
4. Pour 1/2 cup of chicken broth into the inner pot.
5. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of ground or fresh parsley into the chicken broth.
6. Place the Instant Pot steamer rack or trivet rack inside the inner pot. (This is optional but makes removing the chicken from the pot A LOT easier.)
7. Place the chicken on the rack inside the pot.
8. Pressure cook on high for 25 minutes.
9. When the cooking is finished, allow the pressure to naturally release, or manual release after 15 minutes have gone by.
10. Remove the chicken from the inner pot (this will be easy with the trivet rack’s handles).
11. Place the whole chicken on a cutting board to carve.
12. Reserve the chicken broth to pour over your chicken as your serve it. I also like to pour the broth over rice.
13. Serve and enjoy!
Drink this to toast the Biden-Harris Inaugural
Inauguration 2021 cocktail recipes to try! Starting with a creation that can be enjoyed by both alcohol-drinkers and non-drinkers, like President Joe Biden and myself. (I replaced alcohol with sparkling apple cider in 2020!).
10 Inauguration cocktail recipes
10. El Presidente
You may also like: