A one-of-a-kind day trip from Las Vegas
I recently visited the Seven Magic Mountains art installation about 10 miles south of the Las Vegas Strip.
As a whimsy traveler and a desert-lover, the idea of colorful boulders being the only thing for miles around in the middle of the Las Vegas desert piques my curiosity!
Why is it called Seven Magic Mountains?
Because there are seven totems, carefully curated, crafted and colored to stand at mountain height— another unique experience to check-off your “only in Vegas” bucket list.
That’s why I’ve listed seven reasons why you should visit this whimsical Nevada Art exhibit and return to The Strip even more inspired than before!
Seven Reasons to Visit Seven Magic Mountains
1. Seven Magic Mountains is a free public art attraction.
2. The mountains are a temporary installation, so you don’t want to miss seeing them!
In recent good news, this past December 2018, it was announced that Seven Magic Mountains would stay put for a minimum of three more years!
3. The painted boulders on display are locally sourced.
4. Seven Magic Mountains thrives against nature’s painting, the Nevada desert skies.
A stunning presentation against a natural canvas of beautiful, bright hues.
5. This desert-display was curated with service and love by the Nevada Museum of Art, Reno and the Art Production Fund, NY.
6. The artist, Ugo Rondinone says that “Seven Magic Mountains elicits continuities between human nature, artificial and natural, then and now.”
7. The seven neon painted, day-glow totems range from 30-35′ high— Wowza!
BONUS: A 20-minute drive to Seven Magic Mountains is what you can do in Las Vegas during the day!
What I wore to the desert
Click any item to shop!
What are good day trips from Las Vegas?
For more tours, things to do, travel guides and day trips from Las Vegas worth the drive, check out these posts:
Find me here: @NevadaArt
Seven Magic Mountains inspiration in education
Are you an educator wanting to infuse more artistic inspiration into your classroom?
I think it’s awe-inspiring that you can download lesson plans featuring the themes within Seven Magic Mountains from the official website HERE.