A one-of-a-kind day trip from Las Vegas
I recently visited the Seven Magic Mountains art installation about 10 miles south of the Las Vegas Strip.
As a whimsy traveler and a desert-lover, the idea of colorful boulders being the only thing for miles around in the middle of the Las Vegas desert piques my curiosity!
Why is it called Seven Magic Mountains?
Because there are seven totems, carefully curated, crafted and colored to stand at mountain height— another unique experience to check-off your “only in Vegas” bucket list.
That’s why I’ve listed seven reasons why you should visit this whimsical Nevada Art exhibit and return to The Strip even more inspired than before!
Seven Reasons to Visit Seven Magic Mountains
1. Seven Magic Mountains is a free public art attraction.
2. The mountains are a temporary installation, so you don’t want to miss seeing them!
In recent good news, this past December 2018, it was announced that Seven Magic Mountains would stay put for a minimum of three more years!
3. The painted boulders on display are locally sourced.
4. Seven Magic Mountains thrives against nature’s painting, the Nevada desert skies.
A stunning presentation against a natural canvas of beautiful, bright hues.
5. This desert-display was curated with service and love by the Nevada Museum of Art, Reno and the Art Production Fund, NY.
6. The artist, Ugo Rondinone says that “Seven Magic Mountains elicits continuities between human nature, artificial and natural, then and now.”
7. The seven neon painted, day-glow totems range from 30-35′ high— Wowza!
BONUS: A 20-minute drive to Seven Magic Mountains is what you can do in Las Vegas during the day!
What I wore to the desert
Click any item to shop!
Vibrant color, comfy Ugg shoes
Fanny pack with a hand warmer pocket!
Oversized “Freedom” jersey dress
Good American, Good Legs jeans
My everyday jewelry: necklace | ring | bracelet | similar earrings |
What are good day trips from Las Vegas?
For more tours, things to do, travel guides and day trips from Las Vegas worth the drive, check out these posts:
1. The Ultimate Las Vegas Travel Guide: 21 Top Sights & Las Vegas Things To Do On & Off The Strip— Best Vegas Travel & Vacation Tips From A Las Vegas Insider
2. Las Vegas Date Night Off The Strip At Ethel M Chocolate Factory, Cactus Garden & Wine Tasting Experience— Another Vegas Off The Beaten Path, Best-Kept Secret
3. 9 Day Trips From Las Vegas Worth The Drive
4. Win Big In Savings & Pack With These Secret Insider Tips For Las Vegas Things To Do! Hotels, Shows, Restaurants, Nightlife: How To Las Vegas Like A High Roller Using A 50-Cent Slot Machine Budget
Find me here: @NevadaArt
Seven Magic Mountains inspiration in education
Are you an educator wanting to infuse more artistic inspiration into your classroom?
I think it’s awe-inspiring that you can download lesson plans featuring the themes within Seven Magic Mountains from the official website HERE.
You may also like:
Like this post? Pin the below picture to your Las Vegas Pinterest board!
Wow, looks awesome!
Sara, it truly is! I hope you can see the beauty of Seven Magic Mountains in person for yourself!
I love las vegas !
I do, too! So much to see both on and off the strip!
We have been to Vegas a few times. Not just to gamble, but we visit friends out there. They have never mentioned this beautiful site!! The colors are gorgeous, especially against the skyline and mountains! I liked your outfit. Perfect for that outing! I pinned that picture. Thank you for sharing!
I’m so happy that you enjoyed this post! Warms my heart that you saw fit to pin it 😉 I hope that on your next trip to Vegas you are able to visit Seven Magic Mountains. It’s only about 10 miles off the strip.
wow I didn’t even know this existed adding it to my list now!!
Katherine, happy to share this art attraction with you! Glad you’ve added it to your list of places to visit 😉
I had never heard of Seven Magic Mountains.
Pam, so happy to introduce Seven Magic Mountains to you. I hope you’ll get to visit in person!
I feel I’m there so nice place
Annalyn, I’m so happy that my pictures took you there! 😉 Thanks for sharing your comment!
i love this . those rocks are gorgeous. i want to go to this place.
Rana, I hope you can visit! These rocks are even more amazing in person!
That is really neat.
Tiffany! It’s a must see when in Vegas!
This looks so cool! iI love Las Vegas! Havent been able to travel there for awhile though!
It’s always something new whenever you return to Vegas!